So first thing to remember is to be kind to yourself after getting tattooed!
Plan in some rest time, take it easy
BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER CHECK WHAT TYPE OF BANDAGE YOU HAVE!
If you have a CLING FILM bandage take it off after 3 to 4 hours
If you have a SANIDERM bandage take it off after a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 3 days
- A tip with saniderm is to take it off in the shower to help with the adhesive
- This type of bandage will fill with plasma over time, it can look a bit gross, this is normal
After removing your bandage the aftercare is the same...
- Keep your tattoo clean!
- Only touch your tattoo with clean hands
- Thoroughly wash your tattoo with unscented soap and warm water twice a day
- Pat dry with a paper towel
- Moisturise your tattoo with an small amount of unscented white lotion as needed (usually 2-3 times a day)
- If your tattoo becomes very dry increase the frequency that you apply moisturiser (but not the amount)
- Continue until your skin is completely back to normal
Some things to be aware of....
- Cleanliness is very important. Your tattoo is an open wound. Remember to wash your hands before touching you tattoo and make sure anything touching your tattoo is clean (ie. clothing, bedding, towels)
- DO NOT scratch or pick your new tattoo! It will become itchy and flakey as it heals, this is normal. Do not pick or rub any of the dry areas, and avoid tight clothing until it is full healed
- DO NOT soak your tattoo, especially in pools or hot tubs, until it is fully healed
- DO NOT expose your tattoo to direct sunlight
- ALWAYS use a heavy sunblock on your tattoos. Even when healed!
- If you sweat whilst wearing a SANIDERM bandage, it is best to remove it, as sweat can collect underneath and irritate your skin.
- If your SANIDERM bandage lifts off any part of your tattoo, or tears, take the bandage off, do not try to stick it back down.
- Every person heals at a different speed, there is no set time that your tattoo will be healed by, just continue with the aftercare until your skin returns to normal
If you have any questions or problems at all please contact me
Please don’t consult google for aftercare advice!